At Manchester Craft and Design Centre, we are passionate about developing new talent through a variety of opportunities for emerging makers and creatives.
MAKER SUPPORT SCHEME
This year we launched our maker support programme, securing funds from the Culture Recovery Fund in order to provide support to three talented makers in Greater Manchester who have faced barriers to a career in craft.
Our community of resident makers does not currently reflect the diversity of Greater Manchester. This project is the first we have attempted to tackle this issue, providing funds and resources to support the future of our participants.
We hope to continue this programme into the future, but unfortunately do not have any current spaces. If you are a maker at the beginning of your career, have a look at our sharing opportunities, and our discounted emerging maker business workshops.
Read about our current cohort here
Our flexible programme provides:
- Free Studio Space, Monday – Saturday, 10am – 5.30pm.
- A bursary of £1000 for materials or equipment to help participants create their work. This will be paid in full at the beginning of the project.
- A budget for shop fittings if you choose to use the studio space.
- Access to a mentor to discuss your creative and business development and help identify opportunities for support and progression (e.g. funding opportunities or exhibition opportunities)
- Group sessions with makers to discuss your work and any challenges you’re facing
- Free access to our Emerging Maker Programme
- Membership to A-N Network for a year
- Bursary participants will take part in an exhibition at MCDC, being paid an additional exhibition fee
- Free showcase at Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair in October, the North’s leading and award-winning craft fair.